Something Old/Something New

Legal Questions

Antique-mall staff will collect state sales tax from customers, but will turn that money over to you, the independent dealer, for payment to the state. You will need a sales tax number, available at no charge from the state in which you do business.

Swaim also suggests looking into business insurance, since sellers may not always be covered under the mall's policy. Sellers can be held liable for selling reproductions, and are also potentially liable if they sell something unsafe, such as an old toaster which starts a fire in the buyer's home.

« Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Page 6 7 8 Next »

Like this article? Get this issue right now on iPad, Nook or Kindle Fire.

This article was originally published in the April 1997 print edition of Entrepreneur with the headline: Something Old/Something New.

Loading the player ...

Richard Branson's 5 Vital Startup Basics

Ads by Google

Share Your Thoughts

Most Shared Stories

The Habits of the World's Smartest People (Infographic)
5 Social-Media Tips to Enhance Your Marketing
Richard Branson's 5 Steps for Startup Success
9 Things Rich People Do Differently Every Day
10 Movies Every Entrepreneur Needs to Watch