1. Decide exactly who your target audience is.
2. Determine what action you want the reader to take.
3. Create an outer envelope or other packaging to entice people to open it and study the contents.
4. Come up with an offer your prospects can't ignore.
5. Write a headline and a postscript that compel prospects to read the letter.
6. Explain the results your offer will deliver.
7. Make it irresistible to take action right now.
8. Don't forget to follow up--either by mail or phone.
9. Track your results, and adjust your strategy accordingly.
10. Consider bolstering your direct mail with e-mail, fax or FedEx.
Jay Conrad Levinson is the father of Guerrilla Marketing, the bestselling marketing series in history, selling more than 14 million copies worldwide. He is chairman of Guerrilla Marketing International. His latest books include Guerrilla Marketing in 30 Days, 2nd. Edition with Al Lautenslager, Guerrilla Marketing on the Internet with Mitch Meyerson and Mary Eule Scarborough, and Startup Guide to Guerrilla Marketing with Jeannie Levinson.