The relationship between a product's manufacturer and a distributor is a two-way street. Each must fulfill certain tasks to get the product to market and keep it on the shelves.
The manufacturer's role:
- Make a quality product.
- Use advertising and other means to create demand for the
- Provide marketing materials.
*Have the capacity to fill any order the distributor gets.
- Offer incentives to distributors' sales forces.
- Don't undercut your distribution network. When customers
call you directly, pass their orders on to your distributor or
- Provide technical support or other quality customer service.
The distributor's role:
- Respond quickly when the manufacturer passes on sales
- Provide storage for products prior to sale.
- Fill customers' orders quickly and accurately.
- Assist in building a market for the product.
*Give customer feedback to the manufacturer.
Next: A Closer Look »