There's no doubt you need the right mental attitude to succeed in any endeavor. How do you cultivate an attitude that drives you toward your goals? Affirmations.
"Just as other people's words affect you, the words you say to yourself also affect your attitude," says sales guru and bestselling author Zig Ziglar. In his most recent book, Success for Dummies (IDG Books, $19.99, 800-762-2974), Ziglar suggests the following affirmations. Review them every morning and any time you need a lift:
1. I discipline myself to do the things I need to do when I need to do them, because I know that doing them will enable me someday to do the things I want to do when I want to do them.
2. I clearly understand that if I develop yearning power and apply learning power, I will increase my earning power.
3. I am like an eraser. I recognize my mistakes, I learn from my mistakes, and then I erase those mistakes from my memory.
4. I'm a hard worker, but I don't overdo it, because I know that the person who is always busy as a bee may awaken to discover someone has swiped his or her honey.
5. I move forward in my life every day, even if it's only a tiny step, because I know great things are accomplished with tiny moves, but nothing is accomplished by standing still.
Sean Lyden (email@example.com) is a writer in Kennesaw, Georgia.
Brian Tracy, c/o Brian Tracy International, 462 Stevens Ave., #202, Solana Beach, CA 92075, (619)?81-2977
Danielle Kennedy Productions, P.O. Box 1395, Sun Valley, ID 83353, (800)?48-8070
Farber Training Systems Inc., (973)?35-9400
SalesPEAK Inc., (770)?20-0832, firstname.lastname@example.org
Denis Waitley, c/o The Waitley Institute, (619)?56-4201
Zig Ziglar, c/o Ziglar Training Systems, (800)?27-0306, http://www.zigziglar.com
Sean Lyden is the CEO of Prestige Positioning (a service of The Professional Writing Firm Inc.), an Atlanta-based firm that "positions" clients as leading experts in their field-through ghost-written articles and books for publication. Clients include Morgan Stanley, IFG Securities, SunTrust Service Corp. and several professional advisory and management consulting firms nationwide.