The following associations can provide the information you need to develop an advertising campaign:
- American Advertising Federation, 1101 Vermont Ave. N.W., #500, Washington, DC 20005-6306, (202) 898-0089, http://www.aaf.org
- American Marketing Association, 250 S. Wacker Dr., #200, Chicago, IL 60606, (312) 648-0536, http://www.ama.org
- Direct Marketing Association, 1120 Ave. of the Americas, 13th Fl., New York, NY 10036, (212) 768-7277, http://www.the-dma.org
For market research on competitors and consumers, check out:
- American Demographics magazine, P.O. Box 68, Ithaca, NY 14851, (607) 273-6343, http://www.demographics.com
- Marketing Research Association, 1344 Silas Deane Hwy., #306, Rocky Hill, CT 06067, (860) 257-4008, http://www.mra-net.org
- Thomas Register of American Manufacturers (at most libraries or at http://www.thomasregister.com) can help you research competitors.
- Encyclopedia of Associations (Gale Research Publishers), available at most libraries, lists industry associations that frequently provide market data.
- The U.S. Census Bureau has statistics on businesses and consumers by region. Take a trip to your local library, call (301) 457-4100 or visit http://www.census.gov
For marketing ideas, check out these titles:
- Guerrilla Marketing: Secrets For Making Big Profits From Your Small Business, Third Edition, by Jay Conrad Levinson (Houghton Mifflin, $13, 800-225-3362)
- High-Impact Marketing on a Low-Impact Budget, by John Kremer and J. Daniel McComas (Prima Publishing, $16, 800-632-8676)
- Knockout Marketing: Powerful Strategies to Punch Up Sales (Entrepreneur Media, $19.95, available in June at http://www.amazon.com)
- Start-Up Marketing: An Entrepreneur's Guide to Launching, Advertising, Marketing & Promoting Your Business, by Philip Nulman (Career Press, $16.95, 800-CAREER1)
- 303 Marketing Tips Guaranteed To Boost Your Business (Entrepreneur Media, $17.95, http://www.amazon.com)
For help writing a marketing plan:
Check out one of the many CD-ROMs available on the subject, complete with easy-to-use templates, such as Adams Streetwise Small Business Start-Up ($39.95 street, Adams Media, http://www.adamsmedia.com/software/sbs).