When you catch yourself saying or thinking "I'd start my own business, but . . . ," stop! Then shift your focus to thoughts that empower you toward your goals by asking yourself such questions as:
- What qualities do I possess that would help me succeed in my own business?
- What do I need to improve on to be an effective CEO for my own company?
- What makes my business idea feasible? What are its weak points? How can I eliminate them?
- How much money do I need? What financing options do I qualify for? Who do I know that can help point me in the right direction?
- If I decide not to start my business because I'm worried friends and family would think I'm crazy or irresponsible, what would that worry cost me in terms of lost opportunities and life fulfillment?
Sean Lyden is the CEO of Prestige Positioning (a service of The Professional Writing Firm Inc.), an Atlanta-based firm that "positions" clients as leading experts in their field-through ghost-written articles and books for publication. Clients include Morgan Stanley, IFG Securities, SunTrust Service Corp. and several professional advisory and management consulting firms nationwide.