It's likely that you're already soaking your monthly mobile plan for every last voice minute available. But online applications stores such as the Apple App Store and the BlackBerry App Store make it easy for small-business users to download new mobile functionality that can improve productivity and overall connectivity to colleagues while on the go.
Here's the download on the must-have apps for small-business users:
- DataViz Documents-to-Go: Originally created for the earliest Palm devices, it's now available for BlackBerry, iPhone, Android and other devices. Allows you to create and edit Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint documents and Adobe PDF documents from your phone.
- Intuit QuickBooks Online for mobile devices: QuickBooks, one of the most successful online small-business applications, was adapted to work on iPhones and BlackBerrys late last year and made available from Intuit Labs in a beta version. Has all the favorite QuickBooks Online capabilities: Balance sheet and profit and loss reports; bank account and credit card balances; vendor, customer and employee lists; accounts receivable and payable; and QuickBooks Online contact resources.
- TimeTTracker MX2: Developed by R&F Consulting Inc. to integrate with QuickBooks to track time, expenses and mileage on a mobile device.
- Exgis Time and Expense: Another of the many time and expense-related mobile applications available for various devices. Exgis T&E is for the BlackBerry and has various levels (Enterprise, Pro, Lite) depending on your business size and need.
- NOCturnalWare TraveLog and While You Were Out: TraveLog is a mileage tracker. WYWO is a mobile version of the popular desktop e-mail feature. Helps if you have a busy, mobile personal assistant who intercepts a lot of your calls.
- Salesforce Mobile: The mobile version of the popular online CRM resource application is available for iPhone, BlackBerry and other devices.
- Bitrino WiFiTrak and AppMiner: Both for the iPhone. WiFiTrak searches for free public Wi-Fi hotspots. AppMiner addresses a fast-growing problem for mobile users--app overload--by tracking frequent updates and price changes in desired apps.
- Nice Office: From developer eAgency, this is a mobile office assistant app for Windows Mobile and BlackBerry that wirelessly syncs with Microsoft Outlook components. Includes features for employee oversight sales and opportunity management.
- BillableGoal: Helps you organize billing time for multiple clients by tracking call and e-mails and creating timers for other billable tasks. Can be exported as an e-mail attachment.
- Put Things Off: Its "laid-back to-do list" helps organize and prioritize tasks while maintaining a sense of levity and sanity. Spun off from the "Put Things Off" blog by U.K.-based Nick Cernis.
- reQall: Voice-enabled memory aid records tasks and reminders before you forget about them, organizes them, sends you alerts and daily "Memory Jogger" reminders.