50 Favorite Online-Marketing Influencers of 2014
Join us at Entrepreneur magazine's Growth Conference, Dec. 15 in Long Beach, Calif. for a day of fresh ideas, business mentoring and networking. Register here for exclusive pricing, available only for a limited time.
It’s getting more and more difficult to know which sources to trust online. This helps explain why lists such as this one are consistently some of the most read and shared: people want (no, need) to know that the content they’re reading is reliable and trustworthy.
When it comes to determining the "top 50" of anything, there are any number of variables that can come into play. Some of the ones I considered for this list included:
- Usefulness and reliability of blog and social-media posts
- Advanced knowledge in one or more areas of online marketing
- Size of audience
- Level of engagement on their blog or social media
- Ability to create and sustain a sense of community with their audience
- Awards received
- Books written
I’m absolutely certain I’ve left some amazingly successful online marketers off this list. If I’ve forgotten you or someone you know, please leave a comment at the end of this post.
The following are my 50 favorite online-marketing influencers of 2014:
2. Matt Cutts doesn’t normally make it onto these lists, but there’s no doubt he’s near the top in terms of online influence. He's the star of Google’s Webmaster videos and current head of Google’s Webspam team.
8. Seth Godin wrote many bestselling marketing books, including Permission Marketing: Turning Strangers into Friends and Friends into Customers. He also founded squidoo.com and was an inductee into the Direct Marketing Hall of Fame.
10. Sean Gardner, ranked as number one on Forbes’ Top 50 Social Media Power Influencers in 2013, is a social-media consultant and regular contributor to Huffington Post and Social Media Week.
12. Jeff Bullas is an online-marketing blogger, author of Blogging the Smart Way – How to Create and Market a Killer Blog with Social Media, and number eight on Forbes’ World’s Top 40 Social Marketing Talent.
13. Mari Smith is a Facebook-marketing expert and author of The New Relationship Marketing.
14. Chris Brogan is a New York Times bestselling author, business strategist and online marketing expert. According to his bio, his consulting is “business strategy meets powerful personal development.”
16. John Boitnott, a journalist and digital consultant, has worked at TV, newspapers, radio and Internet companies in California for 20 years. He has written for NBC, Entrepreneur, USA Today and Venturebeat, among others. He now invests in startups and works primarily with tech entrepreneurs to scale their businesses.
19. Heidi Cohen, a marketing expert who focuses on providing practical, actionable online marketing advice for business owners, is on Social Media Examiner’s list of Top 10 Social Media Blogs.
20. Jay Baer is author of New York Times-bestselling book Youtility: Why Smart Marketing is About Help, Not Hype, speaker, marketing coach and founder of digital marketing consulting agency and blog, Convince & Convert.
22. Danny Brown co-authored Influence Marketing: How to Create, Manage and Measure Brand Influencers in Social Media Marketing. He was voted one of Social Media Examiner’s Top 10 Social Media Blogs in 2011, 2013 and 2014.
29. Brian Solis is a digital analyst and author of What’s the Future for Business: Changing the Way Businesses Create Experiences.
32. Chris Ducker is a "new business" marketing strategist and blogger, podcaster and author of Virtual Freedom: How to Work with Virtual Staff to Buy More Time, Become More Productive and Build Your Dream Business.
34. Bryan Eisenberg is an authority on online conversion and persona marketing and author of Call to Action: Secret Formulas to Improve Online Results.
35. Matthew Barby, a digital marketing consultant, is a popular columnist and lecturer at the Digital Marketing Institute.
42. Ann Handley, chief content officer at MarketingProfs, is a regular contributor to Entrepreneur magazine and co-author of Content Rules: How to Create Killer Blog Posts, Podcasts, Ebooks, Webinars (and More) That Engage Customers and Ignite Your Business.
44. Matthew Woodward blogs about SEO and affiliate marketing. His site is ranked as one of Technorati’s top 100 Business Blogs.
46. Yanik Silver is a serial entrepreneur and founder of multiple seven-figure businesses. His story is the classic "rags-to-riches" tale.
48. Frank Kern is an Internet-marketing expert best known for his enormously successful subscription-based marketing strategies.
49. Pam Dyer, an expert on using social media to increase sales and improve branding, is on Forbes’ list of Top 20 Women Social Media Influencers.
If you’re looking for help with your online marketing strategy, refer to these experts. If you’re interested in my advice, grab my eBook, The Definitive Guide to Marketing Your Business Online.
Who would you add to this list? Leave a comment below!