Don't buy a thing until you check out these must-know terms:
- Consumables: paper and ink cartridges that will need to be replenished or replaced.
- Duty cycle: number of pages a printer can handle per month without breaking down.
- Piezoelectric: type of inkjet tech-nology that uses crystal vibrations (for example, the Epson and Brother printers above).
- Ppm (pages per minute): the speed at which a printer prints. the ppms listed in the chart are maximum speeds under ideal conditions (at draft quality).
- Print head: printer part that delivers the ink-this may need to be replaced every few years in some printers.
- Thermal inkjet: type of inkjet technology that involves heating the ink (Canon BubbleJet printers and Compaq printers are examples).
Next: Shopping List »