Have you ever taken the time to get organized only to find that three days later your office is more of a mess than it was before? If so, you may have been fighting your natural working style. Take our quiz to see which of four working styles you fall into: Nit Picky (perfectionist), Bouncing Ball (unable to focus on one project at a time), Teeter Totter (difficulty making decisions), and Ima Mess (pack rat).
Within each section, circle the appropriate numbers-choose as many as you like-that describe the way you handle tasks. When you're finished, check your score to find out which work style is more your speed.
If you have several tasks to accomplish in one week, how would you tackle them? Would you:
1. Have trouble deciding which task to do first?
2. Postpone tasks because you can't decide how to do them?
3. Ask others for their opinion to make sure that yours was right?
4. Keep any anxiety about these tasks to yourself?
5. Fear finishing a task because there may be another way to do it?
6. Have little or no anxiety about the tasks?
7. Feel that if something went wrong with the tasks, you would cover with a clever comment?
8. Assume the tasks would fall easily into place?
9. Not think about clearing your desk before working?
10. Ask your partner to help you at the last minute?
11. Plan ahead carefully?
12. Clear off your desk and start only when it was perfectly clear?
13. Focus on performing the task at hand perfectly before asking yourself if it's the most pending task you have?
14. Make a list of things to do?
15. Do only the tasks that you knew you were able to do perfectly?
16. Start on one task and jump to the next without completing the first one?
17. Work on one task, get bored and pass it on to someone else?
18. Use a to-do list on some days, your memory on others?
19. Get bored easily, no matter what the task?
20. Look for shortcuts for completing the tasks?
Home office expert Lisa Kanarek is the founder of HomeOfficeLife.com and the author of Organizing Your Home Office For Success (Blakely Press) and 101 Home Office Success Secrets (Career Press).
Brother home office expert Lisa Kanarek advises corporations and individuals on all aspects of working from home and writes the blog Working Naked. She is the author of several books, including Working Naked: A guide to the bare essentials of home office life.