In all your cheese wanderings, here are some terms you may come across:
- Piquant: often used to describe sharp-tasting cheeses (like Romano)
- Mould: refers to the blue or greenish spores that are introduced into cheese-think blue cheese (like Roquefort)
- Paraffin: a wax coating that protects cheese
- Fresh Cheese: cheese that has not ben aged (like Cottage or Ricotta)
- Barnyardy: often refers to the flavor of cheese made from sheep's or goat's milk (like Kaseri)
Alfama, (212) 645-2500, www.alfamarestaurant.com.
Egg Farm Dairy, (212) 645-2500.
Metrazur, (212) 645-2500
Mildred, (800) 305-4449, www.mildredhome.com.