Could You Have an Embezzler?
Here are 10 signs that you might be experiencing embezzlement or employee theft in your business:
1. Unwillingness of employees to take vacation
2. Employees who refuse to delegate certain tasks
3. A lack of dual control for tasks involving cash
4. Ledgers and subledgers that don't balance
5. Financial statements that don't balance
6. Lack of audit trails
7. Regular complaints from customers that inventory shipments aren't complete
8. Unwillingness of bookkeeper or accountant to share information
9. Erratic behavior of an employee
10. Unexpected bouncing of checks
For reprints and licensing questions, click here.