Whether your advertising strategy relies on humor, shock treatment, celebrity testimonial or educational tactics, don't forget to ask yourself these basic questions before writing any ad:
- Who is my target audience?
- What are the general ages, lifestyles and interests of these people?
- What is the state of my product (new, old, updated)?
- What's the one thing I want to tell prospects about in the ad (such as fastest service, cheapest prices, most friendly staff)?
- What is the ultimate objective of this ad (traffic, name awareness, differentiation from the competition)?
Excerpted from Entrepreneur magazine, May 2001