When you want to rid yourself of any beliefs that aren't serving you well at this point in your life, ask yourself the following six questions. Take 20 minutes or so to write the answers down. Be sure the answers you write are scrupulously honest.
- Where did I get this belief?
- How long ago did I adopt this belief?
- Have I ever compromised this belief? If so, how many times? How long ago? Why?
- What have been the consequences, if any, of compromising this belief?
- What have been the consequences, if any, of maintaining this belief?
- What would happen to my health, finances, and personal and professional life if I eliminated this belief?
Principles for Sales
Over the past twenty-eight years, I've worked with a good many CEOs and top- producing salespeople. I challenge you to put their principles of sales leadership to work during the next situation in your professional life that requires positive change.
- They're accountable. They live by a code: "If it's to be, it's up to me."
- They're confident. They have a strong belief and faith in themselves, and they constantly reinforce that belief.
- They want to find out more. They're in constant search mode; they want to find ways to improve themselves, develop their strengths and understand their weaknesses.
- They're generous. They're always trying to find ways to help others grow and develop.
- They embrace new situations and actively look for new challenges. They look at change as an opportunity to benefit by using each of the above strengths, making them even stronger and more resilient.
Anthony Parinello is the author of the bestselling book Selling to VITO, the Very Important Top Officer. For additional information on his speeches, Sales Success Kits and newest book, CEOs who Sell, call (800) 777-VITO or visit www.sellingtovito.com.
Tony Parinello has become the nation's foremost expert on executive-level selling. He's also the author of the bestselling book bearing the name of his sales training program,Getting to VITO, the Very Important Top Officer, 10 Steps to VITO's Office,as well as the host of Club VITO, a weekly live internet broadcast.