Everything you ever wanted to know about taxes
The latest tax developments and planning advice are just a mouse click away on the Internet. Here are some of the most useful tax Web sites for small-business owners:
- IRS: The IRS' Web site gives you the official version of the latest tax developments. You can also download IRS forms and publications. Once at the site, click on "Business" and then "Small Bus/Self-Employed" for tax information affecting entrepreneurial companies.
- CCH tax group site: This site includes comprehensive tax information and resources on all types of personal and business tax issues.
- Small Business Taxes & Management: One of the best sites for entrepreneurs looking for in-depth tax information, it includes updates of federal rules, summaries of revenue rulings and procedures, and small-business links.
- Tax Planet: Tax planet is not just for business owners, but it does include many articles entrepreneurs will find useful, such as those dealing with the latest tax developments. The site also includes a 2002 tax season guide.
Gear Sound the alert: You can keep abreast of tax developments with Quicken's 2003 Premier Home & Business ($89.95, minus $20 rebate for upgrade; www.quicken2003.com, 800-952-2558). Its Tax-Informed Investing Alerts will notify you if there's a change in your portfolio. It includes three new tax reports and an improved paycheck setup, so you'll be able to track tax withholdings more efficiently.
Floor it:TurboTax 2002 Premier Home & Business ($79.95, www.turbotax.com, 800-782-9430) makes filing self-employment and personal taxes a breeze. It helps you figure out home office deductions and provides special resources for preparing Schedule C taxes. The Business edition ($99.99) offers a tax library and prepares and prints W-2 and 1099-MISC forms for employees and contractors.
Make the cut: TaxCut ($49.95; www.taxcut.com, 800-457-9525) from H&R Block lets you import data from Quicken and other tax software. Handy business features include the Home Office and Capital Gains assistants, as well as the Stock Options advisor. Got questions? The Platinum version lets you ask tax professionals specific questions about your tax return.
- Jackson, Rolfes, Spurgeon & Co.
(513) 595-8800, www.jrscpa.com
- Jennifer Jones
(703) 352-1587, www.jajonescpa.com
- Terri's Consign & Design Furnishings Inc.