What are the most important things to consider when starting an online store?
Congratulations on starting your online business venture! Some of the things you want to consider are:
* Will you launch your own website or will you use a tool like YahooStores?
* Is your shopping cart intuitive and easy for your customers to use? Does it need to interface with your inventory system for real-time inventory up-keep? Will it be server-based or third-party software?
* What is your return policy? What if an item breaks during shipping?
* Which service will you use for processing credit card orders? Remember you need a gateway AND a merchant account. Most merchant account providers will provide you with a gateway, but not always.
* Will you allow people to pay with checks online?
* What is your shipping policy? You need to be careful with fulfilling international orders to avoid fraudulent charges.
That should be enough to get you well on your way.