What are the most important things to consider when starting an online store?
I plan to start an online business that specializes in hand-painted crafts and house items (i.e. painted glasses, ceramics, toy boxes). I plan to target buyers from all over the world.
Congratulations on starting your online business venture! Some of the things you want to consider are:
* Will you launch your own website or will you use a tool like YahooStores?
* Is your shopping cart intuitive and easy for your customers to use? Does it need to interface with your inventory system for real-time inventory up-keep? Will it be server-based or third-party software?
* What is your return policy? What if an item breaks during shipping?
* Which service will you use for processing credit card orders? Remember you need a gateway AND a merchant account. Most merchant account providers will provide you with a gateway, but not always.
* Will you allow people to pay with checks online?
* What is your shipping policy? You need to be careful with fulfilling international orders to avoid fraudulent charges.
That should be enough to get you well on your way.
Entrepreneur Editors' Picks
When Her Parents' Restaurant Burned Down, This First-Generation Founder's Hot Sauce Brand Rose From the Ashes to Take on Corporate Giants
Not Hitting Your Goals? Here's How to Know If You Should Change Tactics or Strategy.
You Can Generate Your Own Viral LinkedIn Post With This Hilarious Tool
This Couple Lost Everything When the Housing Market Crashed. But Manifesting 'Magic' Helped Them Launch a Metaphysical Brand With 10 Stores.
The Best Software Solutions and Tech Providers in the Franchising Industry
This 18-Year-Old Student Wanted a Better Way to Keep Track of His School Work. So He Built an App — and a Business.