Will You Owe the Alternative Minimum Tax?

How you can avoid paying the AMT now and later.
Magazine Contributor
Owner of Make a Living Writing
2 min read

This story appears in the September 2006 issue of Entrepreneur. Subscribe »

Will you run afoul of the Alternative Minimum Tax? A bill passed in May raising the AMT exemption may help you avoid paying the AMT.

Without the new law, the AMT exemption this year would have been $33,750 of taxable income for singles and $45,000 for married couples. The one-year fix for 2006 hikes those exemptions to $42,500 and $62,550, respectively, sparing an estimated 19 million taxpayers from the AMT.

If your income is in the $150,000 to $500,000 range, you're at high risk of having to pay the AMT, says John Battaglia, a tax director at Deloitte Tax LLP. But careful planning can help lessen the bite.

Congress will likely pass more temporary fixes in 2007, says Ross Rizzo, partner and director of taxes for accounting firm Salibello & Broder LLP. Based on that forecast, a few tips:

  • If your income is rising, you might miss the AMT this year but have to pay it next year. In that case, 2006 is the time to prepay deductions disallowed under the AMT, including state, local and property taxes.
  • If you can't avoid the AMT this year, record as much income as you can in 2006. Under the regular income tax, high earners might pay 35 percent, but the top AMT bracket is only 28 percent.
  • Exercising company stock options could affect income, possibly bumping you into the AMT, where qualified stock-option income is taxed.

Seattle writer Carol Tice reports on business and finance for The Seattle Times, Seattle Magazine and other leading publications.


More from Entrepreneur

Our Franchise Advisors are here to help you throughout the entire process of building your franchise organization!
  1. Schedule a FREE one-on-one session with a Franchise Advisor
  2. Choose one of our programs that matches your needs, budget, and timeline
  3. Launch your new franchise organization
Entrepreneur Insider members enjoy exclusive access to business resources for just $5/mo:
  • Premium articles, videos, and webinars
  • An ad-free experience
  • A weekly newsletter
  • Bonus: A FREE 1-year Entrepreneur magazine subscription delivered directly to you
Try a risk-free trial of Entrepreneur’s BIZ PLANNING PLUS powered by LivePlan for 60 days:
  • Get step-by-step guidance for writing your plan
  • Gain inspiration from 500+ sample plans
  • Utilize business and legal templates
  • And much more

Latest on Entrepreneur