Across the Pond: What Do Small Businesses Want?
I was curious to know where the different parties stood regarding legislation affecting small businesses. So Ron Beadle pointed me to the website of the UK's Federation of Small Businesses--somewhat akin to our National Federation of Independent Business.
Here are the main issues that small businesses are wrestling with: Taxes
Flexible working and child-care arrangements
Local business incentives
The FSB website posted both the manifestos and the summaries on its site (how wonderfully helpful), which I had the chance to, er, skim. :-) What's surprising is not the ways that the political parties disagree (nu? You'd expect that). But I found intriguing the ways in which they agree. For example:
- They agree on the need to enhance access to capital for small and medium-size enterprises (SMEs), although they disagree on how best to do that.
- They agree that forced retirement at 65 should be abolished, but disagree on what else (if anything) should replace it.
- They agree that workers need to be able to request flexible work arrangements from their employers and reduce the stigma of requesting parental leave, although they disagree on the time frame for leave.
- They agree on the need to reduce the cost of regulations, but disagree on whether this will be handled best by "sunset" provisions or otherwise.
- They agree on improving the railroad infrastructure--whether for reasons of economy, traffic flow or environmental concerns.
- They agree that crime prevention is a key component to strengthening SMEs and that more police on the beat are needed.
What would you say are the top policy issues for your federal government?
Entrepreneur Editors' Picks
James Dyson Created 5,127 Versions of a Product That Failed Before Finally Succeeding. His Tenacity Reveals a Secret of Entrepreneurship.
7 Meaningful Ways Your Business Can Honor Memorial Day
Breast Implants Left This Founder With Debilitating Symptoms, So She Launched an Intimate-Apparel Line That Goes Beyond Buzzwords
Kids in the Hall's Bruce McCulloch Says TikTok Is the New Punk Rock
'I Am Not a Diversity Quota,' Says the Founder Disrupting the Dessert Category
Memorial Day Is a Time for Remembrance, So What's With All the Mattress Sales?
Pharrell Williams, Contemporary Artist Nina Chanel Abney and Brand-Builder Shaun Neff Announce Launch of Game-Changing NFT Platform