10 Insights from Entrepreneur and Celebrity Chef Susan Feniger
Give us your food and beverage business pitch for a chance to win a $10k business grant and coaching from Samuel Adams. Enter Now »
After reimagining Mexican cuisine with her Border Grill restaurants in Southern California and Las Vegas and competing on Bravo's Top Chef Masters, chef Susan Feniger says she's always thinking of new ways to reinvent herself -- and her food.
"Not many people I know can say they're still passionate about what they do after 30 years," she says. "For me, food connects us, and the next stop on this culinary adventure is always the one that most excites me."
Related: Take Charge of Your Kitchen
Between bites of kaya toast, Feniger shares her personal Top 10 list with SecondAct.
What Are You...
1. Working on: Susan Feniger's Street Food, my new cookbook from Clarkson Potter, Random House. I'm also working on a new website, more Border Grills, more Border Grill trucks and a STREET product line.
2. Reading: Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts
4. Listening to: Eva Cassidy, Corinne Bailey Rae, Annie Lennox, Pink Martini, Adele
5. Making: A new menu at STREET happening in February, and a vegetable garden at home
Related: From Home Cooks to Gourmet Startups
6. Playing: Tennis (never enough time), skiing (in my dreams), paddle tennis (in my hopes)
7. Inspired by: President Obama; my friend who is recovering from a brain aneurism; our animals; my girlfriend of 16 years
8. Imagining: More time off and more restaurants and trucks! I guess those two don't work that well together.
9. Finding most challenging: Keeping it all in balance
10. Adding to your bucket list in 2012: More time to read, hang, grow our businesses, see friends...relax!
Related: Eating Locally on $40 a Week