20 Quotes From Football Legends to Help Take Your Game to the Next Level
Start pre-gaming for the Super Bowl early with this list of inspired utterings from some of the sport's greats.
In honor of one of the biggest sporting events of the year -- the Super Bowl -- I thought it was extremely fitting to compile some of my favorite football quotes and share them with you to help take your game to the next level. Whether it be a legendary coach or player, these individuals have exemplified the true characteristics of what it takes to be a winner.
1. "When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you." -- Walter Payton
2. “Your talent determines what you can do. Your motivation determines how much you are willing to do. Your attitude determines how well you do it.” -- Lou Holtz
3. “The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge -- but rather in a lack of will." -- Vince Lombardi
4. “It’s not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog.” -- Archie Griffin
5. “Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan.” -- Tom Landry
6. “Nobody who ever gave his best regretted it." -- George Hallas
7. “There are only three things you should ever do about a mistake: Admit it, learn from it, don’t repeat it.” -- Bear Bryant
8. “Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.” -- Bill Belichick
9. “Winning is what happens when commitment, desire, talent, preparation, hard work and leadership all come together.” -- Tom Coughlin
10. "Humble enough to prepare, confident enough to perform." -- Tom Coughlin
11. "If you can believe it, the mind can achieve it." -- Ronnie Lott
12. "Leadership is a matter of having people look at you and gain confidence. If you’re in control, they’re in control." -- Tom Landry
13. "The quality of a person’s life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor.” -- Vince Lombardi
14. “If football taught me anything about business, it is that you win the game one play at a time.” -- Frank Tarkenton
15. "Today I will do what others won’t, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can’t.” -- Jerry Rice
16. "Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble." -- John Madden
17. "You are never a loser until you quit trying.” -- Mike Ditka
18. "Adversity is an opportunity for heroism." -- Mark Levy
19. "The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra." -- Jimmy Johnson
20. "The superior man blames himself. The inferior man blames others." -- Don Shula
A former NFL linebacker for the Chicago Bears, Matt Mayberry is currently a keynote speaker, peak-performance strategist and writer. As the CEO of Matt Mayberry Enterprises, a training and consulting company, he specializes in maximizing the performance of individuals and organizations all over the world. He published his first book, Winning Plays, in 2016. You can contact him and learn more at mattmayberryonline.com.