How to buy online safely in the Hot Sale 2021
Today practically all online stores have social networks where you can see part of their work and progress. Know who you buy from.
This year, the Hot Sale in the context of the coronavirus crisis, which involves the closure of physical stores and commercial warehouses, the drop in traffic in stores and the slowdown in household spending, is seen as a positive reaction for support companies in the consumer sector, according to the Mexican Stock Exchange (BMV) .
On the other hand, the pandemic has accelerated the digitization of businesses. In less than three weeks, 5,000 stores accessed tools to digitize, according to the Kolau platform and the Organization of American States (OAS). The OAS initiative is to incorporate almost 100,000 companies a year throughout Mexico so that in 10 years there will be a million micro and small companies digitized in the country.
“Online shopping is becoming a new normal and a priority beyond promotions. In addition to being the only means of accessing some products at this time, they are safe and convenient; however, we could easily fall into fraudulent pages that leave us without money and without product ”, explains Sebastián Medrano, director of Coru.com .
In 2019, the Hot Sale campaign generated more than 50 million searches / Image: Entrepreneur en Español
“We all know the big online stores that we know are trustworthy, like Walmart or Amazon; or we receive offers from promotions known as Hot Sale, but as internet consumers, we must know how to detect deception or buy safely online ”, he adds.
As it is a digital transaction, there is also the risk that personal data will be misused for identity theft. Other risks of these purchases include that the store is false or that the shipment is not what is expected since its quality cannot be physically checked.
In order to take into account the basic security elements to buy online in the Hot Sale 2021, the financial services comparator Coru.com issues the following recommendations:
1. Review site policies : they usually appear in small print and until the bottom of the page, there you can verify your privacy notice, return policies, complaints and suggestions.
2. Certificates of secure purchase : generally they are stamps that are found when carrying out the transaction or capture of the banking information and that guarantee that they are a secure page of electronic commerce.
3. Read comments and reviews : enter the name of the business in the search engine and review the reviews to find out if it is a trustworthy site or not, the time it takes to deliver the products or any other obstacle that may arise when using the store that page.
4. Secure page: the web page must begin with “https”, since the “s” indicates that it is a secure site, it also has a lock in the address bar.
5. Look for the gray or green padlock : to the left of the “https” there should be a gray or green padlock that indicates that it is a trustworthy site.
Other measures to buy safely online
- Know well the quality and identity of the producer. Today practically all online stores have social networks where you can see part of their work and progress, if they do not have this type of accounts it is likely that they are not so reliable. You have to research the provider and their work well.
- Check additional charges. Taxes, extra shipping charges and other things that can generate an extra expense you must take them into account and know them perfectly so that they do not take you by surprise when paying.
- Save and print proof of purchase. This is to always be sure of what was purchased and have a paper that confirms the transaction.
It is important to clarify that the Federal Consumer Protection Law and Profeco protect cyberconsumers from electronic commerce. Similarly, the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) developed the Guidelines for the Protection of Consumers in the Context of Electronic Commerce, which establishes protocols for issuing complaints in case something goes wrong.