My Queue

There are no Videos in your queue.

Click on the Add to next to any video to save to your queue.

There are no Articles in your queue.

Click on the Add to next to any article to save to your queue.

There are no Podcasts in your queue.

Click on the Add to next to any podcast episode to save to your queue.

You're not following any authors.

Click the Follow button on any author page to keep up with the latest content from your favorite authors.


The Ins and Outs of Car Deductions

Actual expenses vs. mileage rate vehicle deductions: What's the difference?
2 min read
Opinions expressed by Entrepreneur contributors are their own.

You may deduct your car, van, pickup or panel truck when used for business purposes using either actual expenses (also known as actuals) or the standard mileage rate. When you use actuals, you can deduct the business portion of actual car expenses you incur, such as the cost of the car, gas and oil, insurance, licenses, parking fees, registration fees, repairs, tires, tolls and even garage rent. The deductible portion of these actual expenses is calculated by prorating these expenses between business and personal usage. Note: The cost of the car is deducted by calculating an annual allowable depreciation dollar amount and then prorating this depreciation amount between business and personal use. The maximum dollar amount of deductible depreciation expense is limited to $7,660 in the year of acquisition ($3,660 if the 30 percent special depreciation is not claimed), $4,900 in year two, $2,950 in year three and $1,775 in year four and thereafter.

Under the standard mileage rate for 2003, you can deduct 36 cents per business mile (down from 36.5 cents per mile in 2002). Note: The depreciation deduction is built into this standard rate, so don't depreciate your car when using the standard mileage rate. To determine which option is best (and allowed) for your business, talk to your accountant.

Source: "Take Advantage of Car-Related Tax Deductions"

More from Entrepreneur

Kathleen, Founder and CEO of Grayce & Co, a media and marketing consultancy, can help you develop a brand strategy, build marketing campaigns and learn how to balance work and life.
Book Your Session

In as little as seven months, the Entrepreneur Authors program will turn your ideas and expertise into a professionally presented book.
Apply Now

Are you paying too much for business insurance? Do you have critical gaps in your coverage? Trust Entrepreneur to help you find out.
Get Your Quote Now

Latest on Entrepreneur