For Subscribers

How Do You Spell "Relief"?

For businesses hurt by the September 11 attacks, the answer may be "IRS."

By Joan Szabo

Opinions expressed by Entrepreneur contributors are their own.

The IRS is offering a number of adjustments as a result of theSeptember 11 attacks, one of which allows you to claim quickrefunds of estimated tax overpayments before you even file your taxreturn. This could help fiscal-year filers whose expected profitswere reduced or eliminated. To apply for the quick refund, use Form4466. You must file it by the 15th day of the third month after theend of your company's tax year, and before filing your taxreturn.

The IRS is also giving some extensions for businesses andindividuals in the federally declared disaster areas of New YorkCity and Arlington County, Virginia. For details, visit theIRS' Disaster Relief page at

Continue reading this article — and all of our other premium content with Entrepreneur+

For just $5, you can get unlimited access to all Entrepreneur’s premium content. You’ll find:

  • Digestible insight on how to be a better entrepreneur and leader
  • Lessons for starting and growing a business from our expert network of CEOs and founders
  • Meaningful content to help you make sharper decisions
  • Business and life hacks to help you stay ahead of the curve

Related Topics

Editor's Pick

The Dark Side of Pay Transparency — And What to Do If You Find Out You're Being Underpaid
Thinking of a Career Change? Here Are 4 Steps You Can Take to Get There.
A Founder Who Bootstrapped Her Jewelry Business With Just $1,000 Now Sees 7-Figure Revenue Because She Knew Something About Her Customers Nobody Else Did
Everything You Need to Know About Franchise Law