Brainstorm with a <i>purpose</i>.
Brainstorming sessions can boost creativity. But too often,folks think it's a free-form process. The best free-thinkingactually comes from having a plan. Follow these rules, and let thejuices flow:
- Before you start, make sure you define the problem or issueyou're going to discuss.
- During the session, make sure someone writes down all ideas asthey surface.
- Once you get started, everyone must suspend judgment. Reservecriticism for after the session.
- Encourage people to build on the ideas of others. Remember, fewideas have a single author.
- The idea is to push the envelope-invite unconventionalthinking. In fact, often the wilder the idea, the better.
And don't sweat the details. During brainstorming, quantityis more important than quality.