Voice-Mail Hackers As you listen to your voice messages, does it ever occur to you that someone else could be listening in? Check out the security hazards of voice mail.
What a relief that you won't miss a call even if youaren't at your desk every minute of the day. It's a reliefas long as no one else is listening to those messages. Voice mailcan be hacked by former employees, competitive companies or evenmischief-makers. To avoid a similar crisis, examine your securitymeasures. The Multi Messaging Educational Committee offers thesesuggestions:
- Base your voice-mail system in a room with controlled access.Change access passwords regularly, and only issue them toauthorized personnel.
- Monitor system reports to identify bad-password disconnects,unused mailboxes and any odd after-hours system activity.
- Distribute voice-mail security policies to all employees.
- Require employees to change passwords periodically. Theyshouldn't use obvious passwords like their birthday,child's name or social security number.
- Never program your password into speed-dial keys on your phone,and never write down your password or give it to others.