What is Kumon?
Kumon is the world’s largest afterschool learning program, designed to give kids academic advantage. It’s difference to other learning programs lies in the fact that Kumon goes far beyond tutoring by enabling kids to develop critical thinking skills and mindset to learn new materials independently. With the Kumon Program and the individualized instructions, kids progress on their own pace, and only when they have mastered the task at hand. For kids, this translates into results that go far beyond school.
Top publications agree – Kumon consistently leads the way in growth and support
It is well known that leaving a full-time job and hitting the restart button on your career to open a new business is a huge commitment. But Kumon’s consistently high industry rankings mean you can partner with Kumon and take that step with confidence.
Are you the ideal candidate for opening a Kumon Center?
In order to be eligible to open a Kumon Center, the ideal candidate would need to posses:
- A passion for and dedication to education and working with children
- Four-year college degree required (teaching background helpful, but not essential)
- Required capital needed to establish and develop a Kumon Math and Reading Center
- The ability to create and manage a center that effectively motivates children in the Kumon Learning Method and an interest in and commitment to helping children in your community
- The ability to deliver an excellent customer experience while maintaining dedication to Kumon’s core values
- A good understanding of your area of opportunity and strong ties to the community
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- A full-time commitment to Kumon — an average of six to eight hours per business day, 40 hours per week.
- U.S. Citizen or Permanent Legal Resident (Green Card)
Testimonials from Kumon’s Owners
“One of the best parts of my job is watching children develop that love of learning”
“It is a lot of work, but trust me, you will enjoy it, and you will know that you are doing something great for the society”
“Since I didn’t want to start from scratch, being part of a larger organization gave me the support that I needed”
"It’s a great company, its satisfying because you are developing great students, and someone who believes that every child has a potential, will do great”
“If you make the investment upfront, and you are patient, and you make your inroads in the community, and you build your enrollments, you absolutely can make a very fine living as a Kumon Instructor”
Facts and Figures
Liquid Capital Required: $70,000
Net Worth Required: $150,000
Investment: $64,187 – $134,100
Support and training: available
Comfortable with doing marketing, networking and community outreach
Passion for education
Excellent in working with kids and parents on a day-to-day basis
Believe in the Kumon Method