Keep bullies at bay with these negotiating tips.
Opinions expressed by Entrepreneur contributors are their own.
If you react to intimidation by counterattacking, walking awayor caving, there's a better way: Stand your ground, andnegotiate.
- Stay cool. Above all, relax. Ignore the theatrics. Ifyour opponent keeps interrupting, politely ask him or her to stop.Create a tactful timeout, such as another appointment. Not reactingmay take supreme self-control, but your maturity will pay off.Also, don't allow experts, celebrities or business leaders topsych you out.
- Refocus on the issues. Intimidation is not the issue.Your deal is. No matter how long it takes, keep bringing thediscussion back to the real concerns: price, services, time periodsand so on.
Continue reading this article — and all of our other premium content with Entrepreneur+
For just $5, you can get unlimited access to all Entrepreneur’s premium content. You’ll find:
- Digestible insight on how to be a better entrepreneur and leader
- Lessons for starting and growing a business from our expert network of CEOs and founders
- Meaningful content to help you make sharper decisions
- Business and life hacks to help you stay ahead of the curve