An opening move may make or break a deal--so step lightly.
Opinions expressed by Entrepreneur contributors are their own.
If you can't open your negotiation the right way, you'llhave trouble closing it. Here are two opening moves youshouldn't forget:
1. Put on your game face. When you open, it's aboutattitude. He who appears to want the least gets the most. Atthe beginning, one of the biggest mistakes is to seem too eager ordesperate. Instead, try to appear hesitant, indecisive or bored.This will lower your opponent's expectations and force him orher to consider concessions he or she was hoping to avoid. Thisreverse psychology will bring the other side closer to the deal youwant.
Continue reading this article — and all of our other premium content with Entrepreneur+
For just $5, you can get unlimited access to all Entrepreneur’s premium content. You’ll find:
- Digestible insight on how to be a better entrepreneur and leader
- Lessons for starting and growing a business from our expert network of CEOs and founders
- Meaningful content to help you make sharper decisions
- Business and life hacks to help you stay ahead of the curve