- Directory of Medical Management Software (Resource Books, $39.95, 408-295-4102) takes some of the guesswork out of selecting software for medical billing services. The 158-page directory describes national and local clearinghouses, software companies for billing centers and health-care providers, other useful software programs and industry associations.
- Medical Claims Processing--A Business Report (Resource Books, $29.95, 408-295-4102) is a 58-page report that explains medical claims processing and describes the benefits of electronic claims submission for health-care providers. Ten specific examples of medical billing business opportunities are outlined.
- Resource Books also publishes a bimonthly newsletter, AQC Resource Newsletter, for the medical billing industry. A one-year subscription (six issues) costs $59. For more information about Resource Books products, call (800) 995-8702 or (408) 295-4102; e-mail email@example.com; or write to Resource Books, 175 N. Buena Vista Ave., Ste. B, San Jose, CA 95126.
- Entrepreneur Media Inc.'s Business Start-Up Guide #1345, Medical Claims Processing ($59), is a 264-page guide full of advice on office facilities and equipment, personnel, legal requirements, record-keeping and taxes, advertising and promotion, start-up costs and more. Call (800) 421-2300 to order.
- Medical billers who have been in business at least two years and have at least two clients can join the International Billing Association (IBA) for $450 to $950 annually. Nonmembers can attend the IBA's educational seminars and conferences. For information, call (301) 961-8680; write the IBA at 7315 Wisconsin Ave., #424E, Bethesda, MD 20814; or visit http://www.biller.com
- The Electronic Medical Billing Network (EMBN) offers start-up information for new billing services, monthly meetings in the New Jersey area, three hours per month of business telephone consultation, vendor referrals, publications and a monthly newsletter. Membership costs $110. For information, call (908) 757-1211; write to EMBN at P.O. Box 7162, Watchung, NJ 07060; visit http://www.webcircle.com/embn or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The National Electronic Biller's Alliance (NEBA) offers members a newsletter and discounts on a few medical billing software programs. NEBA also sells a self-study course on medical billing procedures and terminology. Annual membership costs $129. For information, call (650) 577-1190; write to NEBA, 2226-A Westborough Blvd., #504, South San Francisco, CA 94080; or visit http://www.nebazone.com
Next: Business Opportunities »