Kumon North America, Inc.
Founded: 1954 in Japan by Toru Kumon
Franchising Since: 1958
Headquarters: Teaneck, N.J.
Kumon is the world’s largest after-school math and reading academic enrichment program. Kumon unlocks the potential of children so they can achieve more on their own. It allows students of all ages and abilities to build the skills necessary to have a richer, more successful educational experience. It is also a place where children are motivated to achieve more by gaining a sense of accomplishment that fosters further achievement, driving them to perform at their highest potential.
Kumon is a worldwide company with locations in more than 47 countries. In North America alone, there are more than 2,000 locations. Kumon Centers are individually owned and operated.
- “No. 1 Tutoring Services Franchise” for 11 consecutive years by Entrepreneur magazine
- “No. 3 Top Franchises for the Money” in 2011 by Forbes
- “No. 3 Low-Cost Franchises” — Entrepreneur magazine
- “No.12 America’s Top Global Franchises” — Entrepreneur magazine
- “No. 14 Franchise 500” — Entrepreneur magazine
- Named one of Bond’s “Top 100 Franchises”
- Named an AllBusiness AllStar Franchise for 2011
Qualifications for a Kumon Franchisee:
If you enjoy working with children and have some prior business experience, that’s a very good start. Kumon Franchisee candidates must meet the following qualifications to be considered for a franchise opportunity:
- A passion for and dedication to education and working with children
- Required educational background -Four-year college degree (teaching background helpful, but not essential)
- Adequate capitalization to aggressively develop your Kumon Center
- Required capital needed to establish a Kumon Math and Reading Center -$70,000 liquid capital / $150,000 net worth
- The ability to create and manage a center that effectively motivates children in the Kumon Learning Method and an interest in and commitment to helping children in your community
- The ability to deliver an excellent customer experience while maintaining dedication to Kumon’s core values
- A good understanding of your area of opportunity and strong ties to the community
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- A full-time commitment to Kumon — an average of six to eight hours per business day
Kumon trains qualified franchisees in the Kumon Curriculum and the Kumon Learning Method as well as in business strategies for owning and operating a Kumon Center. Kumon Center owners also take part in our continuing education programs.
A franchisee will take part in a startup training program. This training program takes place at Kumon University in Teaneck, N.J., over a six- to eight-week period.
Through Kumon branch offices, our staff takes an active role in supporting franchisees in both the administration of programs and center growth and development. Student materials are continually reviewed, updated and supplied to our centers. Both internal communications and customer communications are produced and disseminated regularly. Continuing training, meetings and seminars are widely attended by Kumon Franchisees. In addition, Kumon North America provides national and local marketing and franchisee support programs.
A Kumon Franchisee enjoys:
- Allying with an established, successful company
- Relatively modest startup and operational costs
- Rewarding work that benefits the community
- Helping children realize their full potential
- Accomplishing something meaningful every day
Depending on where you plan to set up your business, the range for a Kumon Franchise is $67,763 to $145,320 for the initial investment. It is recommended that the retail location of the center be at least 1,200 useable square feet. The minimum lease term is three years. You’ll find that Kumon has a much lower startup cost than other supplemental learning franchises.
Kumon’s Core Beliefs:
- Success From the Start — Children begin at a comfortable starting point based on their current level. This allows students to fully grasp basic concepts before moving on.
- Advancing at the "Just Right" Level— Because each new assignment is slightly more challenging than the last, children are motivated to learn at their own pace.
- Mastering Each Concept — With timed assignments and a required perfect score on each worksheet, we ensure that children have a complete understanding of a concept before moving on. This process has been extremely successful and helps children advance in test-taking.
- Practice Makes Perfect — Daily assignments nurture continual measurable improvement.
- Realizing Each Student’s Potential — Each individualized program encourages children to learn how to perform at their highest potential and strive to achieve more.