Sleep makes us healthier, more productive and less stressed. But when starting a new business, it seems like sleep is the least important thing on a serious to-do list.
The reality is that not getting enough sleep is only a detriment to your success, especially when your brain is too tired to make major decisions. Keep these sleep habits in mind when you're working to launch your company.
- Give the bar a wide berth. Avoid drinking alcohol for about three hours before you go to bed.
- Turn your phone off. Phones, tablets and computers should be shut down ahead of hitting the hay. The gadgets will only keep your brain feeling wired. Read a book or magazine instead
- Keep a journal. Starting a company is a stressful time, so write out anything that's bothering you.
- Create a soothing atmosphere. Ocean sounds, cool room, comfortable pillows -- whatever helps you relax.
- Go for a run. Exercise is key in creating healthy sleep patterns and helps regulate your body rhythms.
- Sorry, no sugar. A snack with protein and fat before bed will help you sleep better -- a sugar high and subsequent crash will only disrupt your rest.
- Let there be light. Once you get up, bask in the sun and orient yourself for the day.
For more sleep tips, check out the video above.