As overseas shipments continue to grow, it's important to prepare for a potential explosion in global growth. It may be necessary to use a fulfillment company, or even a carrier such as DHL, to hold inventory in a foreign country. This arrangement allows your company to fulfill orders in small batches as needed and save on international freight costs.
However, if you're seriously thinking of expanding your reach internationally, Foley says you should start relatively small. Begin by focusing on the areas where you are receiving the most unsolicited orders, then expand from there.
For now, Beckham will be holding off on adding translation software to her site or setting up deals with carriers. "It depends on how much growth we see," she says. "Right now, we have no plans to do this, but if our international orders got up to about 15 percent, certainly we would do it based on the country."
- ActivMedia Research LLC, email@example.com, www.activmediaresearch.com
- BackWoods Grocery Inc., 120 Interstate N. Pkwy., S.E., Ste. 304, Atlanta, GA 30399, www.backwoodsgrocery.com
- Leslie Banks, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bradley University, International & NAFTA Trade Centers, email@example.com
- Forrester Research, www.forrester.com
- Lernout & Hauspie, (888) LERNOUT.