At a Glance
Products & Services: Philly cheesesteaks, fries, lemonade
Number of Locations: 528
Total Investment: $152.2K - $451.2K
Began Franchising: 1991
About Charleys Philly SteaksVisits to his relatives near Philadelphia inspired Charley Shin's entrepreneurial spirit, and he saw his future in cheesesteak sandwiches. In 1986, Shin opened his first Charley's Grilled Subs at Ohio State University. The then-22-year-old's restaurant became an instant hit with professors and students.
Since then Shin has expanded to locations nationwide. In 1999, he was named Entrepreneur of the Year by Ernst & Young.
Startup Costs, Ongoing Fees and Financing
Franchise Fee: $24,500
Ongoing Royalty Fee: 6%
Term of Franchise Agreement: 10 years, renewable
Financial RequirementsNet Worth: $300,000
Liquid Cash Available: $100,000
OperationsNumber of employees needed to run franchised unit: 20. Absentee ownership of franchise is NOT allowed. (100% of current franchisees are owner/operators).
|Financing Type||In-House||Third Party|
How This Franchise Supports Franchisees
- Why Burger King Just Shut Down 89 of Its Franchises in Germany
- Restaurants Ask Customers to #DineSmall on Small Business Saturday
- How These Subway Owners Decided to Open a Teriyaki Madness Franchise
- To Find the Right Franchise, Test Drive More Than One
- How These 8 Restaurant Chains Are Mixing Up Their Menus for Thanksgiving