At a Glance
Products & Services: Newsstand and sundry store
Number of Locations: 385
Total Investment: $55.9K - $501.8K
Began Franchising: 1983
About Gateway Cigar Store/NewstandsGateway Newsstands was founded in 1983 by Michael Aychental and David Goldman, who started franchising the concept the same year. A family-owned and -operated partnership based in Canada, Gateway has grown to more than 300 stores in North America, including locations in Toronto, New York and Chicago.
Gateway emphasizes a hands-on business approach, putting a franchise owner in each of its locations. Franchisees work from kiosks or stores in large office buildings, selling snacks, drinks, candy, cards, tobacco, reading material, lottery tickets and other impulse buys. Open from 7:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Gateway stores have less demanding working hours than most convenience stores.
Startup Costs, Ongoing Fees and Financing
Franchise Fee: $15,000 - $150,000
Ongoing Royalty Fee: 3.5%
Term of Franchise Agreement: 5, 7 or 10 years, renewable
Financial RequirementsNet Worth: $200,000
Liquid Cash Available: $75,000
OperationsNumber of employees needed to run franchised unit: 1 - 2. Absentee ownership of franchise is allowed. (90% of current franchisees are owner/operators).
|Financing Type||In-House||Third Party|
How This Franchise Supports Franchisees
- How the NLRB's Employment Ruling Could Hurt Jobs, Business Growth
- This Franchisee Investigated a Restaurant Company He Liked and Signed On
- Iced Coffee Challenge: How Do Fast-Food Restaurants Measure Up to Coffee Chains?
- Will This Decision Force Franchises to Reconsider Their Business Models?
- How a Long Wait in Line Made This Franchisee Understand Demand and Provide a Solution