Becoming Your Own Boss in 2016 Five reasons to own a franchise
5 Reasons to Open a Franchise
While many people dream of owning their own business, not everyone is willing to take a leap of faith. However, having a fulfilling career doing what you're passionate about, doesn't have to be a fantasy. Instead of worrying about "what if," think about "why not" and the limitless opportunities that owning a franchise has to offer.
Cristina Acosta took the reins of her own career 18 years ago and she's never looked back. As an educator, Cristina felt that her son wasn't getting the consistent exposure to the fundamentals of math that would allow him to be successful. After doing some research, she decided to enroll him in Kumon, the world's largest after-school math and reading program. After being in the program for several years, the Acostas moved to Florida where the closest center was 45 minutes away. With her background in teaching, Cristina decided to open her own Kumon franchise in Boca Raton, Florida. Eighteen years later, Cristina now owns two Kumon learning centers with a combined 450 students. She gives us insight on why you should open your own franchise.
1. Brand Awareness. Investing in a franchise provides a unique opportunity to receive direct support from a recognizable brand name with a proven system in place. Founded over 55 years ago, Kumon has more than 4.2 million students enrolled in 26,000 centers in 49 countries and regions worldwide. Along with global brand awareness, Kumon does extensive national advertising and offers support for its franchisees with local and regional advertising efforts through cooperative campaigns and financial assistance in the form of marketing subsidies.
2. Solid Business Plan. Many people who want to become their own boss don't necessarily have a business background. Lacking this can make the sheer thought of owning a business intimidating and overwhelming. A franchise model can help alleviate this fear because you are buying into a business that is already established. Many of the business and management aspects are already mapped out so you don't have to go at it alone or start from scratch. Kumon offers the independence of small business ownership supported by the benefits of a big business network.
3. Training and Support. Great franchisors offer a tremendous amount of ongoing business support to their franchisees to help ensure their success. Kumon provides its franchisees with all the tools necessary to succeed—professional training, marketing, and continuous research and development programs, which keep the business current and competitive. I've networked with other successful franchisees by attending professional development conferences, which is an excellent way of continuing to develop my instructional skills. Kumon also offers monetary support in the form of marketing and advertising subsidies and for the purchase of furniture and Kumon materials.
4. Professional Growth. Franchise ownership can offer a level of freedom and opportunity for growth. The advantage of owning a Kumon franchise is that you are part of a bigger community that has the same goals in mind, but have the power to run your business independently and successfully with the freedom to establish your own management and business styles. It has given me the opportunity to travel both nationally and internationally through trips awarded to me by Kumon.
5. Rewarding Career. Making the decision to own your own business encourages you to find a career that is meaningful, rewarding and something you are truly passionate about. Above all else, owning my Kumon center allowed me to further my son's education, preparing him for professional success. In the process, I developed a business that allows me to carry out my vocation of educating children, to give employment to about 15 assistants and to run a profitable business all while giving back to my community.
Whether you are contemplating a career change or want to enhance your role as an educator, investing in a Kumon franchise may be the best choice for you. Visit Kumonfranchise.com to learn more about available opportunities.