During these trying times, businesses are slowing down and many are suspending all work until we can safely return to a new normal. As a result, many entrepreneurs and leadership teams will need to negotiate with vendors and clients to avoid gaps in payments/services.
Our key guest, Alexandra Carter, author of ASK FOR MORE: Ten Questions to Negotiate Anything, is a Columbia Law School Professor, Director of the Mediation Clinic at Columbia Law School, and a world-renowned negotiation trainer for the United Nations. She shares with us her keys behind a successful negotiation.
Plus, Alex will explore:
- Why asking the right questions is critical for negotiation and leadership
- The Ask for More framework for negotiation success
- Negotiation tactics to include in a proposal for your counterpart whether it’s a landlord, vendor, etc. about why you are unable to meet your obligations and why, regardless of that, you are a better choice than your competitors or another option
- Tactics to negotiate delayed payments by showing a plan for recovery. Your long-term prospects may make you a lot more attractive than starting over with someone else
- How you may need to alter your tactics when negotiating by phone, which removes in-person social cues, if in-person or video calls are not an option
- How to focus on the underlying problem rather than reaching directly for a solution.
- Dealing with the two emotions known to kill negotiations: fear and guilt, especially during this time of high emotion and anxiety
- How to find a common ground between what you want and what your client/vendor needs
- Negotiating with people in your home to make time and space for work at home while sustaining a work/life balance