This is a subscriber-only article. Join Entrepreneur+ today for access

Learn More

Already have an account?

Sign in
Entrepreneur Plus - Short White
For Subscribers

Learn These 5 Personality Strategies to Supercharge Sales Author Woody Woodward says, "You lose 80 percent of your sales by opening your mouth."

By Cheryl Snapp Conner

Opinions expressed by Entrepreneur contributors are their own.

Chris Stanford | Getty Images

Have you ever tried to pitch someone your idea and for some reason they just didn't seem to engage? Walt Disney tried to encourage his best friend, Art Linkletter to buy the surrounding property around Disneyland. Linkletter did not see the opportunity and passed. Ironically, the Fujishige family saw the potential and bought fifty-six acres for $2500. Decades later they sold the land back to the Disney Corporation for just under $100 million. How can one person see an opportunity when another one passes on it?

This is what author Woody Woodward calls the 20/80 Rule. His newest book "D.R.I.V.E. Sales" focuses on the five distinct "buying personalities" he's identified. Each of us inherently speaks one language (20 percent), and in doing so, accidentally alienate the other 4 buying personalities (80 percent). The process of recognizing the distinct motivations of the customer you're pitching makes a dramatic (or even exponential) difference to your selling success. When Walt was pitching, he was not connecting with Art's buying personality.

Related: Is Your Personality Permanent? New Research Says 'No.'