What Investors Look For When Evaluating Your Pitch: HRH Prince Khaled Bin Alwaleed Bin Talal
When evaluating a pitch, here is what HRH Prince Khaled Bin Alwaleed Bin Talal looks for in your business model. Some of the investors we featured look at early-stage and even ideation, others only consider large-scale models. At the core of the matter is that a pitch is a pitch, and you’ll notice that these investors all mention a few essential points... like how much drive and motivation you and your co-founders have to make your business work. Does your enterprise have what (and who) it takes to secure funds?
“During a pitch I expect to hear more than I see... All the fancy graphics just distract from the business; I hate PowerPoint presentations. I’m looking for a few things.
1. HOW INVOLVED ARE THE FOUNDERS? I want to know if they are involved in the day-to-day operations or are they just handing things off to the CEO?
2. HOW MUCH RISK ARE THEY TAKING? Are they investing personally and how much?
3. HOW MUCH CAN I PERSONALLY CONTRIBUTE TO THE BUSINESS? Can I do any good, in terms of besides just being an investor and injecting capital; can I help them grow and expand to other countries?
4. HOW LONG HAVE THEY BEEN UP AND RUNNING? I’ll need to know where they are in their business- are they in the profit stage? And does the company have debt?
5. CAN THE BUSINESS SCALE? Who is their target market? Where do they want to expand?”
As a figure of business, technology enthusiast, and investor, HRH Prince Khaled bin Alwaleed bin Talal Al Saud is a firm proponent of clean energy, healthy living, the humane treatment of animals, and a motivated voice for Middle East entrepreneurs. A member of Saudi Arabia's royal family, Prince Khaled was born in California and spent his youth in Riyadh under the mentorship of his father, philanthropist HRH Prince Alwaleed bin Talal Al Saud, founder and Chairman of Kingdom Holding Company.
Today, with holdings on five continents, Prince Khaled stands at the gateway between the Middle East’s evolving economies and the Western world. He invests in an array of successful, but diverse global businesses— from promising technology startups to established companies in the construction sector. Consistently, his focus is on ventures and ideas at the intersection of innovation and economic stability. Prince Khaled is the founder and Chairman of KBW Investments and works across several tiers and levels of the business.
In 2014, Prince Khaled founded KBW Ventures, and currently serves as the company's Chief Executive Officer. Focusing exclusively on venture capital, value creation and growth equity, in April 2018, KBW Ventures announced a partnership with the General Entertainment Authority of Saudi Arabia and National Geographic Encounter to develop and launch up to 10 new locations with Ocean Odyssey.