The Top 10 Franchises That Can Be Run Part-Time From Home or Through a Mobile Unit
Looking to start a franchise but have limited time? These options might just work for you.
Entrepreneur has been ranking the top 500 franchises in America through six different decades now, using a five-pillar system that helps us evaluate the hundreds of entries we receive every year. Those five pillars are:
- Costs and fees, which includes aspects like the franchise fee, total investment and royalty fees.
- Size and growth. For example, how many open and operating units does a franchise have? What is the growth rate, and how often does the franchise experience unit closures?
- Support, focusing on training times, marketing support, operational support, franchisor infrastructure, financing availability and litigation.
- Brand strength. How far does the brand’s name go with your potential customers? What is its social media following, history in business and experience with franchising?
- Financial strength and stability, which centers on the franchisor’s audited financial statements.
These 10 businesses ranked at the top of our list among franchises that can be run part-time from home or through a mobile unit. Check out the slideshow to see if one of them might make sense for your lifestyle.
1. Jan-Pro Franchising Int'l. Inc.
- Entrepreneur Franchise 500 list rank: 27
- Started franchising: 1992
- Total units: 10,118
- Initial franchise fee: $2,520 to $44,000
Jan-Pro franchises offer commercial cleaning services for businesses and offers franchisees a variety of investment options. The company website states you can start a franchise with a minimum of $1,250 for a down payment and $900 for its starter kit, but depending on your ambitions, the plan could cost as much as $50,000.
2. Anago Cleaning Systems
- Entrepreneur Franchise 500 list rank: 33
- Started franchising: 1991
- Total units: 1,711
- Initial franchise fee: $5,015 to $31,000
Anago Cleaning Systems offers two options for its franchisees: a master franchisee who purchases an exclusive territory and sells unit franchises to individuals while securing cleaning contracts from local businesses, and the unit franchisees who operate the cleaning business as a low-cost, part-time-optional investment.
3. HomeVestors of America Inc.
- Entrepreneur Franchise 500 list rank: 36
- Started franchising: 1996
- Total units: 1,122
- Initial franchise fee: $32,000 to $70,000
4. Cruise Planners
- Entrepreneur Franchise 500 list rank: 37
- Started franchising: 1999
- Total units: 3,151
- Initial franchise fee: $695 to $10,995
Cruise Planners is a home-based travel agent network connected to American Express Travel Services. Its remote culture and software gives franchisees the ability to set their own schedules and run their business from anywhere.Related: The Top 5 Franchises of 2021 From the Entrepreneur Franchise 500
5. Dream Vacations
- Entrepreneur Franchise 500 list rank: 65
- Started franchising: 1992
- Total units: 1,553
- Initial franchise fee: $495 to $9,800
6. Monster Tree Service
- Entrepreneur Franchise 500 list rank: 71
- Started franchising: 2012
- Total units: 152
- Initial franchise fee: $49,500
The Monster Tree Service franchise fee above addresses a single territory investment, which includes an exclusive, protected territory of at least 200,000 in population for tree- and plant-care services. It is a work-from-home franchise, but a yard or other storage area might be needed to store the vehicles and equipment or to meet your work crews.Related: 5 Franchises You Can Buy for Less Than $18,000
7. Stratus Building Solutions
- Entrepreneur Franchise 500 list rank: 75
- Started franchising: 2006
- Total units: 2,030
- Initial franchise fee: $3,600 to $69,000
- Entrepreneur Franchise 500 list rank: 114
- Started franchising: 2015
- Total units: 155
- Initial franchise fee: $24,900 to $67,500
The Snapology website describes the business model as a “low-cost, home-based franchise.” Franchisees offer a range of services for children, including STEM and robotics programs, pre-school classes and birthday parties.
9. STEM for Kids
- Entrepreneur Franchise 500 list rank: 173
- Started franchising: 2014
- Total units: 122
- Initial franchise fee: $39,500
STEM for Kids brings computer coding, bio-medicine, engineering, robotics and automation classes to pre-K, elementary and middle school children in a variety of ways. Although the company website says classes cannot be conducted at home, some programs can be delivered at approved sites like schools or faith-based centers.Related: 5 Low-Cost Franchises You Can Start for as Little as $4,000
10. Destination Athlete LLC
- Entrepreneur Franchise 500 list rank: 211
- Started franchising: 2008
- Total units: 151
- Initial franchise fee: $20,000 to $50,000