10 Indelible Quotes From King of Insult Comedy Don Rickles
Remembering the celebrated comic, who died Thursday.
Legendary comedian Don Rickles died today at the age of 90 in his Los Angeles home. The stand up and late night mainstay got his start as the controversial equal opportunity insult comic he is remembered as today by poking fun at the famously temperamental Frank Sinatra.
He performed for presidents, was feared at celebrity roasts, co-starred with big name movie stars such as Clark Gable and Debbie Reynolds and was the voice of Mr. Potato Head in Pixar's Toy Story movies.
Read on for 10 of the most incisive and inspiring quotes from the man known as "Mr. Warmth" about originality and being yourself.
1. "Whatever you do to gain success, you have to hang in there and hope good things happen. Always think positive."
2. "You know, every night when I go out on stage, there's always one nagging fear in the back of my mind. I'm always afraid that somewhere out there, there is one person in the audience that I'm not going to offend!"
3. "Why should I retire? I'm like a fighter. The bell rings and you come out and fight."
4. "When you stand alone and sell yourself, you can't please everyone. But when you're different, you can last."
5. "You can't study comedy, It's within you. It's a personality. My humor is an attitude."
6. "Some people say funny things, but I say things funny."
7. "I always rib people, but nobody ever gives me a hard time. I don't know why. Maybe they're afraid of what I might say. There's probably a lesson in that somewhere, but I don't know what it is."
8. "You got to have a lot of courage. Secondly, whatever it is you're doing you have to believe in it wholeheartedly. Thirdly, you have to be able to stand up in front of people and know that they'll laugh."
9. "Struggling is hard because you never know what's at the end of the tunnel."
10. "You throw your best punch -- otherwise, don't do it."
Entrepreneur Editors' Picks
'No One Believed' This Black Founder Was the Owner of a Liquor Brand in 2012. He Launched to Great Acclaim — Then Lost It All. Here's How He Made a Multi-Million-Dollar Comeback.
Inspired by Elon Musk's Twitter Takeover, Here Are 10 Marketing Tactics That Will Help You Make the Most of Big Changes to Your Company
These Brothers Transformed a High School Project Into the Largest Online Soccer Retailer of All Time. Here's What the World Cup Means for Business Now.
'I Just Lost All My Life Savings': Michigan Woman Lost $15,000 in Facebook Marketplace Car Scam
This Founder Was Dismayed by Food Waste in the Restaurant Industry, So She Started a Zero-Waste Grocery Line That Now Caters Events for Nike
Netflix's Secret Club Allows Members to Preview Content Before Anyone Else — But There's a Catch
Franchising Could Be the Secret to Reaping the Rewards of a Down Economy. Here Are 5 Reasons Why.