At a Glance
Products & Services: Mexican/American food
Number of Locations: 546
Total Investment: $767.7K - $1.6M
Began Franchising: 1967
About Del Taco Inc.Ed Hackbarth opened the first Del Taco restaurant in Barstow, California, in 1964. A few months later, he added a second restaurant with a drive-thru window in Corona, California. Locations eventually spread across California and many parts of the United States.
Del Taco restaurants offer items including a value menu of tacos, burritos and nachos priced under $1, a Macho menu of large burritos, nachos and drinks, and an American menu featuring hamburgers, fries and shakes.
Startup Costs, Ongoing Fees and Financing
Franchise Fee: $35,000
Ongoing Royalty Fee: 5%
Term of Franchise Agreement: 20 years, renewable
Veteran Incentives: 50% of franchise fee; reduced royalty fee for two years
Financial RequirementsNet Worth: $1,000,000
Liquid Cash Available: $500,000
Operations40% of all franchisees own more than one unit. Number of employees needed to run franchised unit: 50. Absentee ownership of franchise is NOT allowed. (35% of current franchisees are owner/operators).
How This Franchise Supports Franchisees
Franchise Ranking History
- A Family-and-Friends Focus Group Gave This Franchise a Thumbs-Up
- A Step Into the Unknown Pays Off for Franchising Couple
- Chipotle Just Introduced Two New Ways for You to Get Your Burrito Fix
- Do Your Homework Before You Open a Franchise Business -- or, in This Case, Five
- Why Domino's Doesn't Need to Go Full-On Fast Casual