At a Glance
Products & Services: Mexican/American food
Number of Locations: 547
Total Investment: $847.7K - $1.8M
Began Franchising: 1967
About Del Taco Inc.Ed Hackbarth opened the first Del Taco restaurant in Barstow, California, in 1964. A few months later, he added a second restaurant with a drive-thru window in Corona, California. Locations eventually spread across California and many parts of the United States.
Del Taco restaurants offer items including a value menu of tacos, burritos and nachos priced under $1, a Macho menu of large burritos, nachos and drinks, and an American menu featuring hamburgers, fries and shakes.
Startup Costs, Ongoing Fees and Financing
Franchise Fee: $35,000
Ongoing Royalty Fee: 5%
Term of Franchise Agreement: 20 years, renewable
Veteran Incentives: 50% off franchise fee; reduced royalty fee for two years
Financial RequirementsNet Worth: $1,000,000
Liquid Cash Available: $500,000
Operations40% of all franchisees own more than one unit. Number of employees needed to run franchised unit: 50. Absentee ownership of franchise is NOT allowed. (35% of current franchisees are owner/operators).
|Financing Type||In-House||Third Party|
How This Franchise Supports Franchisees
Franchise Ranking History
- 'Creating Smiles and Stories' for Customers Is Just One of This Mega-Franchisee's Goals
- How the NLRB's Employment Ruling Could Hurt Jobs, Business Growth
- This Franchisee Investigated a Restaurant Company He Liked and Signed On
- Iced Coffee Challenge: How Do Fast-Food Restaurants Measure Up to Coffee Chains?
- Will This Decision Force Franchises to Reconsider Their Business Models?