How to Make the Big Switch in Career Seamlessly Passion for work, a good plan and awareness about the industry you are stepping into can cut down a lot of stress
Opinions expressed by Entrepreneur contributors are their own.
You're reading Entrepreneur India, an international franchise of Entrepreneur Media.
Switching careers is never an easy task. To restart under new circumstances and from scratch is not something that can be taken lightly. But, when one is passionate about what they wish to pursue then it makes a bit easier. Barriers and hurdles are a part and parcel of life. But, that should not stop one from pursuing one's passion. As we all know when passion turns into profession then work is no more a stress.
Needless to say, every industry is very competitive and stepping into it for the first time is scary and risky and certainly not piece of cake, especially after having given up a secure job. But, passion for the work, a good plan and awareness about the industry can cut down a lot of stress. Some of the areas where one should focus on are:
- Confidence: One should be brimming with confidence and have a sense of balance while starting afresh. A little nervousness is good for your work as overconfidence can ruin the whole thing. One should not get too carried away with the thoughts and ideas and in turn ruin the whole process, but have the confidence and conviction to follow one's dreams, grounded in reality.
- Passion: Needless to say, when one thinks of switching a career and start afresh, then the only driving force is the passion for that work. It is the passion that helps to keep you going even after repeated failures. In a new venture it is quite possible to experience failure because the lack of actual hands-on experience but that is when the passion keeps you strong and helps you keep going.
- Planning: The fundamental of any new venture is planning. Without a well-organised plan it is difficult to reach the destination. Like our passion gives us the strength to follow our heart, a good plan gives wings to the passion. A plan should also have a backup plan. We do not know whether a certain plan will work out or not and if it does not then we should always be prepared with an alternative which will not break the idea rather can keep it going. So, a Plan B is a mandatory. And it is important to have a short-term plan to establish the building blocks of the company, and a long-term plan to ensure the overall vision is always maintained.
- Resources: Once the planning is in place, it is important to get the resources in order. These include getting the finance in place, the necessary manpower and technical expertise to get the idea going. It is important to do the ground work - figure out what are the boxes that need to be ticked to ensure success in the space you are in and get those boxes organized. Your research and homework are among your biggest resources. This will also help you manage your capital. It will help you to estimate the funds needed and how to manage it.
- Knowledge: Knowledge comes from experience. At the outset, with all the boxes ticked, you feel things may be very easy. But, the scenario is completely different when you actually get into the working space. So, it is important to learn from your experiences and take any feedback positively and implement them to improve your work. As they say failure is the pillar of success. So, make your weaknesses your strength.
- Challenges: In a complete new world, it is never going to be easy. Rather, one should be prepared for the worst. But the challenges should not let one down rather a positive attitude to accept it and overcome it is the only solution. Obstacles make you stronger and give you the confidence and knowledge to handle situations better and smartly. These challenges will only help you get stronger and iron out the initial problems, setting the stage for future success.
When one dreams one should also be prepared to work hard and sacrifice for it. Taking a less traveled path is never easy but if you dared to dream then you should also have the courage to make it come true.