The Future of Startup Marketing: 2 Popular Lead Magnets Your Startup Needs Entrepreneurs, investors, marketers and business leaders should consider incorporating eBooks and whitepapers into their startup marketing strategy today.
Opinions expressed by Entrepreneur contributors are their own.
The startup landscape is constantly evolving, and to stay competitive, entrepreneurs, investors, marketers and business leaders must stay ahead of the latest trends and strategies.
One such trend gaining traction in the startup world is using eBooks and whitepapers as "lead magnets."
Honestly, it's not a new trend or a fad.
Understanding the concept of a "lead magnet"
If you are hearing the term "lead magnet" for the first time, know that it is a valuable piece of content —such as an eBook or whitepaper — that is offered in exchange for a potential customer's contact information.
How? This type of content is designed to attract and engage potential customers and, in the process, help generate business leads. Whitepapers and eBooks have become popular lead magnets because they provide valuable information to potential customers and establish the business as an authority in their industry.
According to a study by Hubspot, eBooks and whitepapers are the second most popular type of content used as lead magnets, with webinars coming in first. Additionally, a study by Getresponse on lead magnet found that 55.9% of global marketers use eBooks as the highest converting lead magnet tool.
The story doesn't end here.
Advantages of using eBooks and whitepapers as lead magnets
Using eBooks and whitepapers as lead magnets is also helping to transform how startups attract and engage customers. By providing a more interactive and personalized experience, eBooks and whitepapers can help to build trust and credibility with potential customers.
Additionally, eBooks and whitepapers are popular lead magnets that provide valuable information and insights to potential customers. They can help establish the business as an expert in its field and position the company as a thought leader.
By offering relevant and useful information, businesses can encourage potential customers to engage with their brand and provide their contact information.
In addition to their effectiveness, eBooks and whitepapers are relatively inexpensive to create and distribute, making them an attractive option for startups with limited resources. The same study by Content Marketing Institute found that eBooks are the second most effective type of content, behind in-person events, and only cost an average of $1,200 to produce.
Tips for creating effective eBooks and whitepapers
To create effective eBooks and whitepapers, entrepreneurs, investors, marketers and business leaders should focus on providing valuable and relevant information, using engaging design and formatting and promoting the content through various channels.
Admittedly, it's not a step-less process. Let's dig a bit deeper.
- Define your target audience: Understanding your target audience is vital to creating relevant and valuable content. Consider their pain points, challenges and interests to create an eBook or whitepaper that provides them with real value.
- Choose a relevant topic: Choose a topic relevant to your target audience and aligns with your business goals. Ensure the topic is current, thought-provoking and provides new information and insights.
- Outline the content: Plan the content for your eBook or whitepaper by creating a clear structure and outline. Ensure the content is well-organized, easy to read and provides a clear message.
- Formatting and design: Formatting and design play a critical role in the success of an eBook or whitepaper. Use simple, clean design elements, choose an appropriate font and ensure that the document is easily read and visually appealing.
- Write compelling copy: Use robust and persuasive language to engage your audience and write compelling copy that captures their attention. Ensure your eBook or whitepaper is free of grammatical and spelling errors and includes subheadings, bullet points and other formatting elements to break up the text.
- Include images and graphics: Adding visuals to your eBook or whitepaper can help bring your content to life and make it more engaging. Use pictures, graphs and other visual aids to support your message and break up the text.
- Provide actionable takeaways: Make sure your eBook or whitepaper provides actionable takeaways that your audience can put into practice. Offer practical advice and tips, and include a call to action to encourage your audience to take action.
This is not exactly the only blueprint for creative eBooks and white papers. Still, by following these basic tips, you can engage your target audience, establish your business as a thought leader, and generate leads for your business.
How are eBooks and whitepapers changing the game?
eBooks and whitepapers transform how startups attract and engage customers, providing a more interactive and personalized experience. With the rise of digital marketing, eBooks and whitepapers are becoming increasingly popular ways for startups to generate leads and build relationships with potential customers.
eBooks and whitepapers allow startups to provide valuable information and insights to their target audience in a more engaging and interactive format. Unlike traditional marketing materials, eBooks and whitepapers enable startups to provide a more personalized experience, tailoring the content to their target audience's specific needs and interests.
This leads to higher engagement levels and a stronger connection between the startup and its potential customers.
One real-life example is the customer support company for startups and businesses, Intercom, which has used whitepapers to build relationships with its potential customers.
Intercom's whitepapers and guides provide valuable insights and advice on topics such as customer engagement and messaging strategies, helping to position the company as a leader in its field and attracting potential customers to its brand.
Over to you!
In conclusion, the use of eBooks and whitepapers as lead magnets is changing the future of startup marketing. By providing valuable information, establishing the business as an authority, and providing a more personalized experience, eBooks and whitepapers are helping startups attract and engage potential customers cost-effectively.
So, the idea? Entrepreneurs, investors, marketers and business leaders should consider incorporating eBooks and whitepapers into their startup marketing strategy today.