My Top 10 List: Online Entrepreneur Craig Newmark The Craigslist founder shares his latest projects, plus his picks for browsing, reading and TV watching, too.
Opinions expressed by Entrepreneur contributors are their own.
Internet entrepreneur Craig Newmark created Craigslist, which reinvented the want ads. As he explains, "In 1995 I started helping my friends out by putting stuff together online about events in San Francisco. That project became Craigslist -- but who knew? Now we're one of the 10 most-visited English-language web platforms on the planet."
Newmark's latest project is Craigconnects, an online hub dedicated to charities and nonprofits. The site launched in 2011 as a place where people doing philanthropic work can find people who want to help.
"I'd like to build a way for people doing good work to connect, to learn from each other, protect each other," he says, "and then I want to get out of their way."
Newmark shares his personal Top 10 list for 2012 with SecondAct:
What Are You...
1. Working on: Real support in a number of areas, including vets and military families; voter protection; restoring trust in the press by restoring fact-checking; multiple uses of technology for the common good
2. Reading: About six books per month, mostly science fiction (I'm a nerd), detective fiction, and history
3. Watching: News: Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert. The Simpsons, Downton Abbey, Justified, 30 Rock, and more. (I like TV.)
4. Listening to: Leonard Cohen (new album, Old Ideas, is just out!)
5. Browsing: Social media (Facebook, Twitter, Google+, etc.); tech news (Google News, Techmeme, etc.); general news (Huffington Post, etc.)
6. Following on Twitter: many people, friends and family, also social media experts, like Beth Kanter, Chris Brogan, Brian Solis, Danah Boyd
7. Inspired by: Leonard Cohen
8. Imagining: (I have no vision)
9. Challenged by: my own limitations; also, I don't understand the dirty tricks that bad actors will try.
10. Adding to my bucket list in 2012: I need a much bigger phone/tablet to get work done.
Keep reading: My Top 10: Celebrity Chef Susan Feniger