YouTube Brings in Big Names Like Ellen and Kevin Hart for New Shows
It's using that star power on free ad-supported shows instead of YouTube Red.
During its big Brandcast presentation, YouTube made a pitch to advertisers based on some well-known names, with new shows on the way from Kevin Hart, Ellen DeGeneres, Demi Lovato and Katy Perry. Interestingly, this year's slate of offerings is coming to YouTube for free, instead of the subscription Red package.
YouTube's message is that "Prime Time has gone online," where it claims that more 18- to 49-year-olds visit YouTube than any TV network. It's an interesting angle, particularly considering that YouTube just launched its own live TV package earlier this year.
- Ellen's Show Me More Show: Like nothing Ellen has done before, Ellen's Show Me More Show is a twice-a-week series built just for YouTube, giving fans behind the scenes access to some of the biggest stars and her favorite moments.
- Good Mythical Morning: Worldwide YouTube superstars -- and hosts of YouTube's most popular daily show -- Rhett & Link will go to new heights in a long-form expansion of Good Mythical Morning, giving fans even more of what they crave: larger-than-life stunts, zanier challenges and over-the-top laughs.
- Kevin Hart: What the Fit?: Kevin will team up with celebrity friends and YouTube stars each week as they attempt to master a different trending, grueling and sometimes ridiculous workout routine.
- I Am: Demi Lovato: Global music sensation and social advocate, Demi Lovato reveals a yearlong personal journey of music reinvention and deep discovery as she dives into the writing and recording of her new album in her new series, I Am: Demi Lovato.
- Best.Cover.Ever.: From Ryan Seacrest Productions and Endemol Shine North America, Best.Cover.Ever. is a cutting-edge talent competition series hosted by Ludacris where emerging talent from across the globe submit covers to YouTube to vie for the ultimate prize: an opportunity to perform a duet with a superstar artist. Submit your cover now at thebestcoverever.com.
- The Super Slow Show: YouTube stars The Slow Mo Guys will test the latest in technology to reinvent the way we look at celebrities, music, pranks, comedy sketches and more, giving a one-of-a-kind glimpse into what the world looks like in slow motion.
- Katy Perry Live Special: It's real. It's raw. It's Katy Perry. Live on YouTube, The Katy Perry Live Special will take you inside of her world, revealing the experiences and emotions she poured into her all-new soul-baring music on the eve of her highly anticipated album launch. With unique access, global reach and surprise fun packed along the way, Katy will break it all down in this album listen-along, and if you stick around long enough, there might just be fireworks.
YouTube's Chief Business Officer Robert Kyncl explained its focus by saying that "Five years ago, 85 percent of all original series were ad-supported. This year, that number has fallen to just over two-thirds."
CEO Susan Wojcicki said "Our users don't come to YouTube for polish, they come to YouTube for texture. They come to see the world as it truly is, filled with people just like themselves. They come to witness our shared humanity."
Entrepreneur Editors' Picks
This Founder Quit His 'Prison'-Like Teaching Job Within 2 Months. Now, He and His Sister Are Helping Other Teachers Leave the Classroom and Achieve Financial Freedom.
If You Focus on Problems, You'll Only Find More Problems. Here's How to Focus on Solutions.
Facing More Than 15 Years in Prison, This Founder Transformed His Hustle Into a Powerful Personal Brand and Business. Now, He's Giving Back in a Big Way.
Apple Asks This Jarring Interview Question as a Secret Way to Evaluate a Candidate