10 Inspiring Quotes From Malcolm X
As Justin Worland wrote for Time on the 50th anniversary of the assassination of Malcolm X, "his legacy has grown after his death, from a reputation as a dangerous rabble-rouser to that of an American icon." That transformation is evident today, as #MalcolmX trended globally on what would have been the influencial leader's 91st birthday.
Here are words of wisdom from the man, spanning his years as an advocate for universal freedom, that people of all colors and religions can find inspiration.
1. Without education, you're not going anywhere in this world.
2. You can't separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom.
3. Anytime you see someone more successful than you are, they are doing something you aren't.
4. If we don't stand for something, we may fall for anything.
5. Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery.
6. My alma mater was books, a good library. ... I could spend the rest of my life reading, just satisfying my curiosity.
7. Usually when people are sad, they don't do anything. They just cry over their condition. But when they get angry, they bring about a change.
8. You don't have to be a man to fight for freedom. All you have to do is to be an intelligent human being.
9. Early in life I had learned that if you want something, you had better make some noise.
10. Education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today.