16 Inspirational Quotes From Walt Disney
Reach for the stars with encouragement from the man behind the mouse.
This article originally published Dec. 5, 2016.
Walt Disney launched his eponymous film studio in 1923, and 93 years later, to call the company a cultural behemoth is an understatement -- case in point: This year, Disney brought in than $2.49 billion at the domestic box office, reaching record-breaking heights that no other studio has ever attained.
Disney was a pioneer in his field and there is much inspiration you can draw from his life and career. Read on for 16 motivational quotes from the man behind the mouse.
16. "A person should set his goals as early as he can and devote all his energy and talent to getting there. With enough effort, he may achieve it. Or he may find something that is even more rewarding. But in the end, no matter what the outcome, he will know he has been alive."
15. "It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
14. "Around here, however, we don’t look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious … and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths."
13. "I suppose my formula might be: dream, diversify and never miss an angle."
12. "Courage is the main quality of leadership, in my opinion, no matter where it is exercised. Usually it implies some risk -- especially in new undertakings."
11. "I do not like to repeat successes; I like to go on to other things."
10. "You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
9. "Life is composed of lights and shadows, and we would be untruthful, insincere and saccharine if we tried to pretend there were no shadows."
8. "The worst of us is not without innocence, although buried deeply it might be. In my work I try to reach and speak to that innocence, showing it the fun and joy of living; showing it that laughter is healthy; showing it that the human species, although happily ridiculous at times, is still reaching for the stars."
7. "Do a good job. You don't have to worry about the money; it will take care of itself. Just do your best work -- then try to trump it."
6. "The difference in winning and losing is most often not quitting."
5. "I don’t believe in sequels. I can’t follow popular cycles. I have to move on to new things."
4. "We can ill afford to rest on our laurels, even to pause in retrospect. Times and conditions change so rapidly that we must keep our aim constantly focused on the future."
3. “The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique.”
2. "You must not let anyone define your limits because of where you come from. Your only limit is your soul."
1. "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."
Nina Zipkin is a staff writer at Entrepreneur.com. She frequently covers leadership, media, tech, startups, culture and workplace trends.